Linderhof Palace is one of the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, who also had the palaces Neuschwanstein and Herrenchiemsee built. It was built in the years 1868 to 1878 in the New Rococo style. It is therefore the only palace which Ludwig II could see completed.
Where it stands a palace and park like that of Versailles was planned, but the valley was too narrow. Before the building of the castle there used to be a hunter’s house there, which King Maximilian II of Bavaria, Ludwig II’s father, had built. At first structural alterations were made for the so-called “King’s house”, then a large extension was added, which later formed the centre of the palace and had a separate entrance.
At first the estate consisted of a wooden construction, from 1873 it was given a stone cover. From 1874 the original “King’s house” was moved in order to make room for the palace and park. In its former situation there was an extension through which the castle received its final shape. During this time a staircase was built for the first time. During the years 1885 to 1886 the central room of the palace, the bedroom, was extended. For that reason a considerable rebuilding was necessary, and the northern façade was renovated and a new roof construction fitted. The last work on Linderhof Palace had just been completed when Ludwig II died in 1886.